1 . Multiple-entry visa (MEV). As of February 6, 2014, visitors to Canada are automatically considered for the MEV. The issuance of the 10-year multiple entry is now the standard visa to facilitate entry to Canada for legitimate travellers for up to six months per entry. The maximum validity period can be up to ten years but it is matched to the maximum validity of the length of the passport minus one month.

2 . Single-entry visa (SEV). An SEV will be issued when the foreign national’s purpose of entry is limited; when entry is for the purpose of participating in a one-time event; or when the minister has issued country-specific instructions.

3 . Transit visa. A  transit visa is generally required for travel through Canada to another country by anyone who would need a TRV to enter Canada. The foreign national is required to show travel tickets and is authorized to remain in Canada for up to 48 hours. 

4 . Super Visa. As of December 1, 2011, foreign nationals who are the parents or grandparents of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident can apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa (also referred to simply as a Super Visa). The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years and allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada.